My name is Dan Mozgai, and Cicada Mania is my website.
Use this email address to contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org.
I usually have time to answer questions via email, and for phone calls.
Here are some tips for the press planning to report on Magicicada periodical cicada emergence — mostly to steer you away from using photos of the wrong species.
Other ways to contact Cicada Mania:
Cicada Mania History
2017 wmarks Cicada Mania’s 21st year on the web. Here’s what the site looked like back in 1998 two years after its launch. This is the original logo:
Cicada Mania started as an online photo album meant to share photos from the 1996 emergence of Brood II, particularly photos from a friend’s outdoor wedding, where the cicadas were an “uninvited guest”.
The 2004 Brood X emergence was a fantastic time for Cicada Mania: highlights included me appearing on CNN, NPR, and WABC radio, and seeing 50,000 site visitors in one day. Here is a transcript of my CNN appearance.
The 2007 Brood XIII emergence was fantastic as well. I finally got to meet fellow cicada enthusiasts and researchers Roy Troutman, Jerry Bunker, Gene Kritsky and Joe Green. I was also interviewed for Fuji TV.
Cicada Mania currently contains over 1500 photos of cicadas (many high-res), videos, sound clips, a blog, plenty of FAQs and articles, of course, t-shirts and mugs, which are my attempt at funding the site.
Some articles that mention me or are about me:
- 8 Tips to Survive Cicada Season, Popular Mechanics, May 22, 2013
- Spring Warmup Brings Cicadas, Frogs and Worms, AccuWeather, April 24, 2013
- The Cicada-Obsessed Prepare to Scratch a 17-Year Itch, Wired, April 9, 2013
- Waiting in the wings this spring: Cicadas!, USAToday, April 8, 2013
- Yahoo News, They’re (almost) here! The cicadas are coming April 8, 2013
- Waiting in the Wings: Cicadas, Weather Underground, April 3, 2013
- Cicadas Coming to U.S. East Coast This Spring, National Geographic, March 29, 2013
- Midwest braces for cicadas’ song. USA Today, 5/17/2007
- Cicadas Respond to Their 17-Year Cue. The New York Times, May 19, 2004
- Q&A: Cicada Mania. The Star Ledger, October 12, 2007
- Cicadas nature’s current hot ticket. The Chicago Tribune, June 01, 2007
- Cicadas: Amazing, annoying, arriving soon “Big brood” emerging after 17 years. Philly.com, May 02, 2004
- ANDERSON COOPER 360 DEGREES. Aired May 14, 2004
- Cicadas’ return signals a shrill summer season. The Toledo Blade, 4/26/2004
- Wedding Day Woes – A Bug’s Life. NPR May 8, 2004
Many of the cicada photos and videos on the site come from Roy Troutman. Visit the Roy Troutman page for links to his images and his contact information.
Over the years many people have supported this site, including some celebrated people: