Pacarina puella Davis, 1923 aka Little Mesquite Cicada.
Photo credit: Pacarina by John Beard in Atascosa County, TX.
All Pacarina puella information & images on cicadamania.com.
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: P. puella
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Pacarina puella Davis, 1923
- Short Name: P. puella
- Common Name: Little Mesquite Cicada
- When: May-July. Peak in June.
- Where it is found: AZ, LA, OK, TX
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Tiny. Varies: brown, green, black, etc.
- Eye Color: light
- Pronotal Collar Color: varies
- Identification: Bug Guide
- Identification: iNaturalist
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Song: Insect Singers
Species: Pacarina puella Davis, 1923
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.