Neotibicen linnei (Smith and Grossbeck, 1907)
Photo credit: Tibicen linnei by Tom Lehmkuhl
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: N. linnei
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen linnei (Smith and Grossbeck, 1907)
- Short Name: N. linnei
- Common Name: Linne's Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen linnei
- When: July-September. Peak in August.
- Where it is found: AL, AR, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NJ, NY, NC, OH, ON, PA, SC, TN, VT, VA, WV, WI
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black, green and some brown camo pattern. Prominent M. Bend in its wing. Sounds like N. tibicen.
- Eye Color: dark brown
- Pronotal Collar Color: green
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/32143
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/projects/cicada/sp_pages/NA_species/T_linnei.html
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: /cicadas/tag/t-linnei/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Neotibicen linnei (Smith and Grossbeck, 1907) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.