Neotibicen superbus (Fitch, 1855) aka Superb Dog-Day Cicada.
Photo by Sloan Childers.
⭢ All Neotibicen superbus images & information on cicadamania.com.
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers.
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen superbus (Fitch, 1855)
- Short Name: N. superbus
- Common Name: Superb Dog-Day Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen superbus
- When: June-August. Peak in July.
- Where it is found: AR, KS, LA, MO, NM, OK, TX
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Green with black mask and yellow arches on back.
- Eye Color: black
- Pronotal Collar Color: green
- Identification: Bug Guide
- Identification: iNaturalist
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Song: Cicada Central
Species: Neotibicen superbus (Fitch, 1855)
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.