Neotibicen similaris similaris (Smith and Grossbeck, 1907)
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen similaris similaris (Smith and Grossbeck, 1907)
- Short Name: N. similaris similaris
- Common Name: Similar Dog-Day Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen similaris
- Where it is found: AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black, brown and green. Patterns are hard to see. This cicada is similar to the Neotibicen tibicen species in shape (hump back) and coloring.
- Eye Color: black
- Pronotal Collar Color: brown
- Identification: Bug Guide
- Identification: Bill Reynolds on iNaturalist
- Identification: iNaturalist
- Subject Matter Expert website: Cicada Central
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Song: Insect Singers
Species: Neotibicen similaris
Sub-species: Neotibicen similaris similaris (Smith and Grossbeck, 1907)
Sub-species: Neotibicen similaris apalachicola Marshall and Hill, 2017
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
Leave a Reply