Neotibicen tibicen australis (Davis, 1912) aka Southern Swamp Cicada aka Southern Dusky-Winged Cicada.
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: N. tibicen australis
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen tibicen australis (Davis, 1912)
- Short Name: N. tibicen australis
- Common Name: Southern Swamp Cicada, Southern Dusky-Winged Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen tibicen australis
- Where it is found: AL, FL, GA, MS, NC, SC, TN, VA
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black, green and brown. Some white pruniosis along sides. Patterns of coloration easy to see.
- Eye Color: black or dark green
- Pronotal Collar Color: varies, but usually not all back
- Identification: Bug Guide
- Identification: iNaturalist
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Song: Insect Singers
Species: Neotibicen tibicen
Sub-Species: Neotibicen tibicen australis (Davis, 1912)
Sub-Species: Neotibicen tibicen tibicen (Linnaeus, 1758)
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.