This is a selection of links to websites dedicated to the cicadas of Europe.
- Songs of European Singing Cicadas. Many images, sound files and text content.
- SONGS OF CICADAS from Slovenia and Istria (Croatia) (arnes.si) Many cicada photos, sound files and about six paragraphs of information about the cicadas of Slovenia and Croatia by Prof.dr. Matija Gogala.
- La cigale : un insecte vraiment étonnant ! Lots of text content, photos and video of the cicadas of France.
- Species Action Plan: New Forest Cicada (Cicadetta montana) (ukbap.org.uk) A photo and about ten paragraphs of information. England.
- Welcome to the New Forest Cicada Project. A site devoted to finding the New Forrest Cicada in England.
- Cicadas of Spain. There are a lot of photos and video from Spain on Cicada Mania thanks to Iván Jesús Torresano García.
Comments Off on Websites Dedicated to the Cicadas of Europe
I mentioned the New Forest Cicada a few weeks ago. It is the only cicada native to the United Kingdom, but no one has observed it since 2000, so it might be extinct. I hope it is not extinct.
Now there is a team of researchers called The New Forest Cicada Project who plan to use a smartphone app, for your Android or iOS device, to listen for and identify the cicada.
Do you live in England? Are you in the area of the New Forest National Park? If so, make sure you download the app when it’s ready and then next May-July, go listening for the New Forest cicada.
This story was also mentioned in a Guardian UK article.
Comments Off on The New Forest Cicada Project
There is only one type of cicada in the United Kingdom, and it is called the New Forest cicada (Cicadetta montana). It is named for the New Forest National Park, where these cicadas can be found in the pasture woodlands. It is both rare and endangered, according to this FAQ, however, according to another website, it might be extinct. It sounds like a small gas motor (in my opinion).
The website ARKive has Five videos of the New Forest cicada, including one featuring cicada larvae still in a tree branch.
Cicadas belonging to the Genus Cicadetta are known as “small grass cicadas”. The New Forest cicada belongs to the same subfamily (Subfamily Cicadettinae) as the Magicicada periodical cicadas that live in the U.S.A.
Comments Off on New Forest cicada (Cicadetta montana)