In this video we see a Magicicada cicada ovipositing:
Magicicada laying eggs from Roy Troutman.
Composite photo by Joyce Dinello, La Grange Park, IL. Contact Joyce at email@example.com.
- Still strong in Lombard and Hinsdale
- Valparaiso Indiana
- Like a horror movie on La Grange road
- All over the downtown of Elmhurst
- Des Plaines River Forest Preserves on Lake Ave., just east of River Road
- Brookfield is infested
- Marseilles is full of them!
- The forest preserve just south of the tollway and the Cumberland exit
- Tons of cicadas near the Purdue-North Central campus in Westville
- North Ave in Elmhurst between York Rd & Rt 83, also southside of I290 on the way to Oak Park & on Irving Park Rd in the Forest Preserves in Schiller Park
Some great photos on flickr by Catt: Cicada on a Pine Cone, Cicada on a Pine Cone, Cicada on a Shell!
Here’s 3 Cicada Contest winners.
Jen Swofford in Highland Park, IL:
Mark Muto in North Riverside, IL:
Sonja Kassebaum of Gurnee, IL:
Paula King’s son found this cicada in Villa Park, IL. In the picture they eyes are white, but Paula observed that the eye color would actually vacillate between blue and white over the course of time. That’s an important observation.
Here’s another picture from Paula of a cicada with mustard colored eyes:
This photos of a blue-eyed Magicicada was taken by Maria Wagner in Downers Grove, IL.
A photo of cicadas mating by Christina T.
The following videos chronicle the Brood XIII Magicicada emergence in 2007 at the Forrest Preserve park outside of Chicago. The videos are by Roy Troutman.
Crowd watching Magicicada emergence at Ryerson Woods by Roy
Crowd watching Magicicada emergence at Ryerson Woods from Roy Troutman on Vimeo.
Observing magicicada emergence at Ryerson Woods by Roy
Observing magicicada emergence at Ryerson Woods from Roy Troutman on Vimeo.
Observing Magicicada emergence at Ryerson Woods by Roy
Observing Magicicada emergence at Ryerson Woods from Roy Troutman on Vimeo.