Neotibicen pruinosus pruinosus (Say, 1825)
Photo credit: Photo by Paul Krombholz
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: N. pruinosus pruinosus
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen pruinosus pruinosus (Say, 1825)
- Short Name: N. pruinosus pruinosus
- Common Name: Scissor(s) Grinder
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen pruinosus pruinosus
- When: June-October. Peak in August.
- Where it is found: AL, AR, CO, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NC, OH, OK, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, WV, WI
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: The Scissor Grinder looks a lot like Linne's Cicada but their wing doesn't have bend that Linne's Cicada has. The Scissor Grinder also seems to have more of an orange coloration to the 'arches' on its mesonotum.
- Eye Color: black
- Pronotal Collar Color: green
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/6967
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/projects/cicada/sp_pages/NA_species/T_pruinosa.html
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Bill Reynolds: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/189397
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: /cicadas/tag/t-pruinosus-pruinosus/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Neotibicen pruinosus pruinosus (Say, 1825) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.