Platypedia putnami putnami (Uhler, 1877)
Song type: Call (Crepitation)
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: P. putnami putnami
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Platypedia putnami putnami (Uhler, 1877)
- Short Name: P. putnami putnami
- Common Name: Putnam’s Cicada
- Where it is found: AZ, BC, CA, CO, ID, MT, NE, NV, NM, OR, SD, UT, WA,WY
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black with orange highlights. Hairy.
- Eye Color: black
- Pronotal Collar Color: orange
- Identification: Bug Guide
- Identification: iNaturalist
- Image: Insect Images
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Song: Insect Singers
Species: Platypedia putnami
Subspecies: Platypedia putnami putnami (Uhler, 1877)
Subspecies: Platypedia putnami keddiensis Davis, 1920
Subspecies: Platypedia putnami lutea Davis, 1920
Subspecies: Platypedia putnami occidentalis Davis, 1920
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Tribe information comes from: MARSHALL, DAVID C. et al. A molecular phylogeny of the cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) with a review of tribe and subfamily classification. Zootaxa, [S.l.], v. 4424, n. 1, p. 1–64, may 2018. ISSN 1175-5334. Available at: https://www.biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/view/zootaxa.4424.1.1
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.