Platypedia minor Uhler, 1888
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Platypedia minor Uhler, 1888
- Short Name: P. minor
- Where it is found: CA, OR
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black with brown highlights. Hairy. Tennis racket wings.
- Eye Color: black
- Pronotal Collar Color: black and brown
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Identification: Bug Guide
- Identification: iNaturalist
From W.T. Davis’ key to Platypedia1
AA. Fore wings much broader, the breadth is equal to about one-half the distance from the basal cell to the apex of the wing.
Uncus when viewed from above long and slender; seen in profile nearly straight below, arched above. Last ventral segment in female with notch V-shaped. Membranes at the base of fore wings almost white. Fore wings are proportionately broader than in vanduzeei. Expands about 41 millimeters. Occurs in California, Nevada, Colorado minor Uhler.
Species: Platypedia minor Uhler, 1888
List of sources
- Davis, W.T. North American Cicadas Belonging to the Genera Platypedia and Melampsalta. Journal of the New York Entomological Society. V28. Pp 95-135. 1920. Link.
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Tribe information comes from: MARSHALL, DAVID C. et al.A molecular phylogeny of the cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) with a review of tribe and subfamily classification.Zootaxa, [S.l.], v. 4424, n. 1, p. 1—64, may 2018. ISSN 1175-5334. Available at: https://www.biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/view/zootaxa.4424.1.1
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
Leave a Reply