Neotibicen superbus (Fitch, 1855)
Photo credit: Tibicen superbus by Sloan Childers
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: N. superbus
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen superbus (Fitch, 1855)
- Short Name: N. superbus
- Common Name: Superb Dog-Day Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen superbus
- Where it is found: AR, KS, LA, MO, NM, OK, TX
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Green with black mask and yellow arches on back.
- Eye Color: black
- Pronotal Collar Color: green
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/79516
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/tag/t-superbus/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Neotibicen superbus (Fitch, 1855) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.