Megatibicen dorsatus (Say, 1825)
Photo credit: Tibicen dorsatus by Bill Lasar
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: M. dorsatus
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Megatibicen dorsatus (Say, 1825)
- Short Name: M. dorsatus
- Common Name: Bush Cicada or Grand Western or Giant Grassland Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen dorsatus
- Where it is found: AR, CO, ID, IL, IA, KS, MO, MT, NE, NM, OK, SD, TX, WY
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Rust/orange, black & white pruinosity, which forms distinct markings, such as a line of white dots down the dorsal side of the abdomen. Sounds like N. tremulus. Has a call that sounds like a rapid series of clicks.
- Eye Color: beige to brown
- Pronotal Collar Color: light orange
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/45379
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://www.angelfire.com/ar/urobbie/tibicen_guide.html
- Image: Insect Images
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/tag/t-dorsatus/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Megatibicen dorsatus (Say, 1825) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.