Megatibicen pronotalis walkeri Metcalf, 1955
Photo credit: Roy Troutman
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: M. pronotalis walkeri
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Megatibicen pronotalis walkeri Metcalf, 1955
- Short Name: M. pronotalis walkeri
- Common Name: Walker's Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen marginalis, Tibicen pronotalis walkeri
- Where it is found: AL, AR, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MN, MS, MO, NE, NC, ND, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, VA, WV, WI, WY
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Tan or pea green, brown, black, and sometimes white pruinose. Wing color matches dominant color of body. Typically lacks a black marking on its pronotum.
- Eye Color: gray
- Pronotal Collar Color: green or brown
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/42254
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/projects/cicada/sp_pages/NA_species/T_marginal.html
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Bill Reynolds: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/188281
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/tag/t-pronotalis-walkeri/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Megatibicen pronotalis walkeri Metcalf, 1955 images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.