Quesada gigas (Olivier, 1790)
Photo credit: Photo by Leonardo Milhomem
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: Q. gigas
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Quesada gigas (Olivier, 1790)
- Short Name: Q. gigas
- Common Name: Giant Cicada
- Where it is found: TX
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: The second largest North American cicada. Black, green and brown camo patterns.
- Eye Color: brown
- Pronotal Collar Color: brown to green
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/302420
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://www.texasento.net/Cicada.htm
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: /cicadas/tag/q-gigas/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Quesada gigas (Olivier, 1790) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.