Neotibicen winnemanna (Davis, 1912)
Photo credit: Photo by Dan Mozgai
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: N. winnemanna
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen winnemanna (Davis, 1912)
- Short Name: N. winnemanna
- Common Name: Eastern Scissor(s) Grinder
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen winnemanna
- Where it is found: DE, DC, GA, MD, NC, NJ, PA, SC, VA
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Like the Scissor Grinder, the Eastern Scissor Grinder seems to have more of an orange hue to the arches on its mesonotum, perhaps even more so than the Scissor Grinder.
- Eye Color: dark green
- Pronotal Collar Color: green
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/236729
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Bill Reynolds: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/188334
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Neotibicen winnemanna (Davis, 1912) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.