Neotibicen tibicen tibicen (Linnaeus, 1758)
Photo credit: Cicada Mania - Note the variation in colors.
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: N. tibicen tibicen
Song type: Call
Source: ©Cicada Mania | Species: N. tibicen tibicen
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen tibicen tibicen (Linnaeus, 1758)
- Short Name: N. tibicen tibicen
- Common Name: Swamp Cicada, Morning Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen cholormera, Tibicen tibicen tibicen
- Where it is found: AL, AR, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MS, MO, NE, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, PA, RI, SC, SD, TN, TX, VT, VA, WV, WI
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Swamp Cicadas are are known for their rounded, humped back. Their coloration varies from mostly black & some green to black, brown and green. Their collar is usually black, but can include green.
- Eye Color: black or dark green
- Pronotal Collar Color: black
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/734701
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/projects/cicada/sp_pages/NA_species/T_chloro.html
- Image: Insect Images
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: /cicadas/tag/t-tibicen-tibicen/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Neotibicen tibicen tibicen (Linnaeus, 1758) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.