Neotibicen similaris similaris (Smith and Grossbeck, 1907)
Photo credit: Photo by Kathy Hill
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen similaris similaris (Smith and Grossbeck, 1907)
- Short Name: N. similaris similaris
- Common Name: Similar Dog-Day Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen similaris
- Where it is found: AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black, brown and green. Patterns are hard to see. This cicada is similar to the Neotibicen tibicen species in shape (hump back) and coloring.
- Eye Color: black
- Pronotal Collar Color: brown
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/263544
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/projects/cicada/sp_pages/NA_species/T_similaris.html
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Bill Reynolds: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/224461
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Neotibicen similaris similaris (Smith and Grossbeck, 1907) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.