Neotibicen lyricen engelhardti (Davis, 1910)
Photo credit: Roy Troutman
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen lyricen engelhardti (Davis, 1910)
- Short Name: N. lyricen engelhardti
- Common Name: Dark Lyric Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen lyricen engelhardti
- When: July-September. Peaks in July.
- Where it is found: AL, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IN, IL, KY, MD, MA, MS, NJ, NY, NC, OH, PA, RI, SC, TN, VA, WV
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: The Dark Lyric Cicadas have the darkest coloration of all the Lyric cicadas. Their mesonotum is almost entirely dark brown/black. They have a "soda-pop pull-tab" or keyhole shape on their pronotum.
- Eye Color: black
- Pronotal Collar Color: black
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/60925
- Type Specimen Details: The American Museum of Natural Species
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Bill Reynolds: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/224275
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Neotibicen lyricen engelhardti (Davis, 1910) images
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.