Megatibicen pronotalis pronotalis Davis, 1938
Photo credit: Tibicen pronotalis
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: M. pronotalis pronotalis
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Megatibicen pronotalis pronotalis Davis, 1938
- Short Name: M. pronotalis pronotalis
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen pronotalis pronotalis
- Where it is found: IA, MO, NE, ND, OK, SD
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Tan or pea green, brown, black, and sometimes white pruinose. Wing color matches dominant color of body. Often features a black marking on pronotum.
- Eye Color: gray
- Pronotal Collar Color: green or brown
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/42254
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: /cicadas/tag/t-pronotalis-pronotalis/
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.