Megatibicen figuratus (Walker, 1858)
Photo credit: Tibicen figuratus by Paul Krombholz
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: M. figuratus
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Megatibicen figuratus (Walker, 1858)
- Short Name: M. figuratus
- Common Name: Fall Southeastern Dusk-singing Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen figuratus
- When: August-October. Peaks in September.
- Where it is found: AL, AR, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX, VA
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black and browns. White pruinosis.
- Eye Color: brown
- Pronotal Collar Color: brown
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/84191
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: /cicadas/tag/t-figuratus/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Megatibicen figuratus (Walker, 1858) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.