Diceroprocta vitripennis (Say, 1830)
Photo credit: Diceroprocta vitripennis by Paul Krombholz
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: D. vitripennis
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Diceroprocta vitripennis (Say, 1830)
- Short Name: D. vitripennis
- Common Name: Green Winged Cicada
- When: June-August. Peaks in July.
- Where it is found: AL, AR, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MS, MO, NE, OK, TN, TX, WI
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black with green and brown and white pruinose.
- Eye Color: green
- Pronotal Collar Color: green
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/260100
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: /cicadas/tag/d-vitripennis/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Diceroprocta vitripennis (Say, 1830) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.