Platypedia vanduzeei Davis, 1920
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Platypedia vanduzeei Davis, 1920
- Short Name: P. vanduzeei
- Where it is found: CA
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black with dark-orange highlights. Hairy.
- Eye Color: Rusty-red
- Pronotal Collar Color: n/a
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Identification: iNaturalist
From W.T. Davis’ key to Platypedia1
AA. Fore wings much broader, the breadth being equal to about one-half the distance from the basal cell to the apex of the wing.
Uncus when viewed from above broadly lanceolate and subacute at apex, its width almost half the length. Last ventral segment in female with notch more narrowly V-shaped than in aperta. Membranes at base of fore wings orange. Expands about 36 millimeters. Occurs in California and Nevada vanduzeei new species.
Species: Platypedia vanduzeei Davis, 1920
List of sources
- Davis, W.T. North American Cicadas Belonging to the Genera Platypedia and Melampsalta. Journal of the New York Entomological Society. V28. Pp 95-135. 1920. Link.
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Tribe information comes from: MARSHALL, DAVID C. et al. A molecular phylogeny of the cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) with a review of tribe and subfamily classification. Zootaxa, [S.l.], v. 4424, n. 1, p. 1–64, may 2018. ISSN 1175-5334. Available at: https://www.biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/view/zootaxa.4424.1.1
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.