Platypedia putnami putnami (Uhler, 1877)
Song type: Call (Crepitation)
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: P. putnami putnami
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Platypedia putnami song by Timothy McNARY
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Platypedia putnami putnami (Uhler, 1877)
- Short Name: P. putnami putnami
- Common Name: Putnam’s Cicada
- When: May-July
- Where it is found: AZ, BC, CA, CO, ID, MT, NE, NV, NM, OR, SD, UT, WA,WY
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black with orange highlights. Hairy.
- Eye Color: black
- Pronotal Collar Color: orange
- Identification: Bug Guide
- Identification: iNaturalist
- Image: Insect Images
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Song: Insect Singers
From W.T. Davis’ key to Platypedia1
A. Fore wings more than twice as long as broad.
B. Large, expanding 40 millimeters or over; uncus when viewed from above long and narrow.
CC. Head broader across the eyes with front not as strongly produced. Uncus viewed in profile arched at the top, the arch extending to the extremity, which is thickened; uncus also deepened near the base in typical putnami and areolata.
E. Body black with bluish reflections especially on the pronotum and mesonotum. Fore femora in mature individuals entirely black, pale at extremities, except in variety occidentalis of putnami which has chestnut-colored fore femora.
Vein separating the radial cell from ulnar cells black throughout its length in mature individuals. Costal margin of fore wings to end of radial cell brilliant orange; membranes at the base of fore wings bright orange or blood red. Uncus viewed in profile with distal two-thirds of lower line not straight, but curved so that the extremity sometimes appears bent downward. Expands about 50 millimeters. Occurs in Colorado, Nebraska, New Mexico, Nevada, California putnami (Uhler).
Species: Platypedia putnami
Subspecies: Platypedia putnami putnami (Uhler, 1877)
Subspecies: Platypedia putnami keddiensis Davis, 1920
Subspecies: Platypedia putnami lutea Davis, 1920
Subspecies: Platypedia putnami occidentalis Davis, 1920
List of sources
- Davis, W.T. North American Cicadas Belonging to the Genera Platypedia and Melampsalta. Journal of the New York Entomological Society. V28. Pp 95-135. 1920. Link.
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Tribe information comes from: MARSHALL, DAVID C. et al. A molecular phylogeny of the cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) with a review of tribe and subfamily classification. Zootaxa, [S.l.], v. 4424, n. 1, p. 1–64, may 2018. ISSN 1175-5334. Available at: https://www.biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/view/zootaxa.4424.1.1
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.