Platypedia aperta Van Duzee, 1915
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Platypedia aperta Van Duzee, 1915
- Short Name: P. aperta
- Where it is found: CA
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black with beige highlights. Hairy.
- Eye Color: Brown
- Pronotal Collar Color: Beige
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Identification: iNaturalist
From W.T. Davis’ key to Platypedia1
A. Fore wings more than twice as long as broad.
BB. Small, expanding about 38 millimeters; uncus when viewed from above broadly ovate. Fore wing 17 X 6.5 mm.
Uncus when viewed from above “nearly as broad as long, with its apex subacute.” Last ventral segment in female with notch broadly V-shaped. Membranes at base of fore wings pale orange. Expands about 38 millimeters. Occurs in California aperta Van Duzee.
Species: Platypedia aperta Van Duzee, 1915
List of sources
- Davis, W.T. North American Cicadas Belonging to the Genera Platypedia and Melampsalta. Journal of the New York Entomological Society. V28. Pp 95-135. 1920. Link.
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Tribe information comes from: MARSHALL, DAVID C. et al.Â A molecular phylogeny of the cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) with a review of tribe and subfamily classification.Â Zootaxa, [S.l.], v. 4424, n. 1, p. 1—64, may 2018. ISSN 1175-5334. Available at: https://www.biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/view/zootaxa.4424.1.1
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.