Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Okanagana vandykei Van Duzee, 1915
- Short Name: O. vandykei
- Where it is found: CA, OR
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Very colorful. Black, yellow, and orange.
- Eye Color: gray
- Pronotal Collar Color: yellow/orange
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Identification: BugGuide
- Identification: iNaturalist
From Davis’ key to Okanagana1:
A. Male uncus not hooked at extremity, sometimes sinuate.
B. Expanse of fore wings more than 50 mm.
C. Base of fore and hind wings orange red more or less variegated with black.
DD. Outer edge of front wing of a more continuous curve. Medium sized species, except schaefferi, which is large.
E. Legs almost entirely orange or greenish in color. Abdomen pale beneath including the rather long valve.
Pronotum mostly pale with a black median vitta gemmate anteriorly, the lateral oblique groves more or less broadly black. Two broad pale marks extending from the anterior extremities of the mesonotal X; a rather dull-colored species with the uncus deeply cleft at extremity. Expands about 70 mm.
Species: Okanagana vandykei Van Duzee, 1915
List of sources
- Davis, William T. Cicadas of the genera Okanagana, Tibicinoides and Okanagodes, with descriptions of several new species. Journal of the New York Entomological Society. v27. 179-223. 1919. Link.
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.