Okanagana canescens Van Duzee, 1915
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Okanagana canescens Van Duzee, 1915
- Short Name: O. canescens
- Where it is found: CA, WA
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black with orange highlights.
- Eye Color: black
- Pronotal Collar Color: black and brown
- Identification: Bug Guide
- Identification: iNaturalist
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
From Davis’ key to Okanagana1:
A. Male uncus not hooked at the extremity, sometimes sinuate.
B. Expanse of fore wings more than 50 mm.
CC. Base of the fore and hind wings not of the usual orange-red variegated with black.
Body almost entirely black; basal cell of the fore wings clear; membranes at base of both pairs of wings whitish.
Expands about 65 mm
Species: Okanagana canescens Van Duzee, 1915
List of sources
- Davis, William T. Cicadas of the genera Okanagana, Tibicinoides and Okanagodes, with descriptions of several new species. Journal of the New York Entomological Society. v27. 179-223. 1919. Link.
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.