Cicada season in New Zealand begins in November and lasts throughout their Summer months.
Here is a list of the best New Zealand cicada links:
- New Zealand Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae): A virtual identification guide (landcareresearch.co.nz) A wonderful web site. Includes a visual identification guide, checklist, and image gallery. Photos of dozens of species.
- Cicada Central: New Zealand (uconn.edu) Cicada Central’s New Zealand cicada pages.
- Suzy’s World Cicada page (suzy.co.nz) Fun, kid-friendly presentation of cicada information.
- An Encyclopaedia of New Zealand (teara.govt.nz) Three paragraphs of information.
- Introducing cicadas (teara.govt.nz) Photos, sounds and 4 paragraphs of information.
- New Zealand cicadas (troutbum.co.nz)
Large photos of Kikihia and Amphipsalta.
Here is a nice article about the cicada Sounds of a Kiwi summer:
We have around 40 species of cicada in New Zealand, and probably the most familiar to us is the clapping cicada, which is actually two very closely related species that form the basis of our summer soundtrack in much of the country.
Some cicada New Zealand photos: