Magicicada tredecassini Alexander and Moore, 1962.
Photo credit: by Dan Mozgai
All Magicicada tredecassini information and images on cicadamania.com.
Song type: Call
Source: ©Cicada Mania | Species: M. tredecassini
Magicicada tredecassini has a 13-Year lifecycle.
|XIX (19)||1972, 1985, 1998, 2011, 2024||AL, AR, GA, IL, IN, KY, LA, MO, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, VA|
|XXII (22)||1975, 1988, 2001, 2014, 2027||KY, LA, MS, OH|
|XXIII (23)||1976, 1989, 2002, 2015, 2028||AR, IL, IN, KY, LA, MO, MS, TN|
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Magicicada tredecassini Alexander and Moore, 1962
- Short Name: M. tredecassini
- Common Name: 13-Year Cicada or 13-Year Cassini
- When: May-June. Peak in June. Every 13 years.
- Where it is found: AL, AR, GA, IA, IL, IN, KY, MD, MO, MS, NC, OH, OK, SC, TN, VA
- Maps: Map
- Description: Black body with orange wings and legs.
- Eye Color: reddish orange
- Pronotal Collar Color: black
- Identification: Bug Guide
- Subject Matter Expert website: Cicadas @ UCONN (formerly Magicicada.org)
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Song: Cicadas @ UCONN (formerly Magicicada.org)
Species: Magicicada tredecassini Alexander and Moore, 1962
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Cicadas @ UCONN (formerly Magicicada.org).
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.
- Tribe information comes from: MARSHALL, DAVID C. et al. A molecular phylogeny of the cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) with a review of tribe and subfamily classification. Zootaxa, [S.l.], v. 4424, n. 1, p. 1–64, may 2018. ISSN 1175-5334. Available at: https://www.biotaxa.org/Zootaxa/article/view/zootaxa.4424.1.1
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.