Can you ID this cicada from Bangkok, Thailand? Santisuk Vibul (the photographer) and I would be greatly pleased it your could.
Update: Here’s the ventral view, David:
Update: More Photos! NEW! Santisuk Vibul’ s Cicada Photos from Bangkok, Thailand.
Some more info:
- Cicada in Bangkok, Thailand.
- An annual adult male cicada of unspecified genus and species.
- Photo taken: April 15, 2006 by Santisuk Vibul, Bangkok, Thailand. (While it was alive)
- Characteristics: The cicada is brown in color with red eyes and brown wing veins. The total body length is 5 cm including wings. The body only is 3.5 cm and the body width is 1.5 cm.
- Please notice about a white band on the tail part of the body, it appears in both males and females.
- The calling songs of the cicada more or less resemble that of T. auletes.
I have taken photos of what I think is the same species
I came on this site whilst trawling the internet for I.D.
Pity it still goes un-named,it’s nice to be able to name stuff.
That’s not Dr. Marshall- he’s in USA!
I sought further advice- it is in the Dundubia jacoona group, but to get the actual species would require dissection of the genitalia (a job for an expert, not me!!).
Thanks for the information on size and the excellent ventral photo Santisuk. I think that i have a load of this species from Hanoi but apart from changing my opinion to Genus level with a a Dunbubia species, I can’t get closer to the species with the resources available to me. I thought that it might D.mannifera or D.intemerata, but I’m not positive.
We have cicadas that look EXACTLY like this one in Tucson, Arizona. How do they get all the way here??
Great photo. Looks like Platylomia species, but without the ventral view and an estimate of the size, it is hard to go further. I think that I can see the opercula extending back towards sternite 6.