Neotibicen lyricen lyricen (De Geer, 1773)
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: N. lyricen lyricen
Photo credit: Tibicen lyricen by Cicada Mania
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen lyricen lyricen (De Geer, 1773)
- Short Name: N. lyricen lyricen
- Common Name: Lyric Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen lyricen lyricen
- Where it is found: AL, AR, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MD, MA, MI, MS, MO, NE, NH, NJ, NY, NC, OH, OK, ON, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV, WI
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: The Lyric cicada, like most small Neotibicen, has a green, black & brown camouflage look, but the key is Lyric cicadas typically have black collars. Its sound is like an angle grinder tool steadily grinding a slightly uneven surface.
- Eye Color: brown
- Pronotal Collar Color: black
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/671603
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/projects/cicada/sp_pages/NA_species/T_lyricen.html
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Bill Reynolds: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/188315
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/tag/t-lyricen-lyricen/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Neotibicen lyricen lyricen (De Geer, 1773) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.