Neotibicen davisi harnedi Davis, 1918
Photo credit: Photo by Paul Krombholz
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: N. davisi harnedi
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Neotibicen davisi harnedi Davis, 1918
- Short Name: N. davisi harnedi
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen davisi harnedi
- Where it is found: AR, MS
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: The davisi comes in a wide variety of colors: from rusty browns to greens. A crown-like pattern on the mesonotum. Sounds like an angle grinder tool, & sounds like N. auriferus & N. canicularis.
- Eye Color: varies
- Pronotal Collar Color: green
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/416393
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Bill Reynolds: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/189296
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/tag/t-davisi-harnedi/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Neotibicen davisi harnedi Davis, 1918 images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.