Magicicada tredecim (Walsh and Riley, 1868)
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: M. tredecim
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Magicicada tredecim (Walsh and Riley, 1868)
- Short Name: M. tredecim
- Common Name: 13-Year Cicada or 13-Year Decim
- Where it is found: AL, AR, GA, IL, IN, KY, LA, MD, MO, MS, NC, OH, OK, SC, TN, VA
- Maps: Magicicada.org
- Description: Black body with orange wings and legs. Orange stripes on abdomen. Orange between eye and wing.
- Eye Color: reddish orange
- Pronotal Collar Color: black
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/511588
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://www.magicicada.org/about/species_pages/m_tdecim.php
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/tag/m-tredecim/
- Song: http://www.magicicada.org/about/species_pages/m_tdecim.php
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.