Megatibicen resonans (Walker, 1850)
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: M. resonans
Song type: Call
Source: ©Joe Green | Species: M. resonans
Photo credit: Photo by Joe Green
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Megatibicen resonans (Walker, 1850)
- Short Name: M. resonans
- Common Name: Southern Resonant/Great Pine Barrens Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen resonans
- Where it is found: AL, FL, GA, LA, MS, NC, SC, TN, TX, VA
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Brown, black & white pruinosity distinctively present within curves of the cruciform elevation.
- Eye Color: brown
- Pronotal Collar Color: brown
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/72461
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/projects/cicada/sp_pages/NA_species/T_resonans.html
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Bill Reynolds: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/224434
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/tag/t-resonans/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Megatibicen resonans (Walker, 1850) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.