Megatibicen resh (Haldeman, 1852)
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: M. resh
Photo credit: from Bill Reynolds collection
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Megatibicen resh (Haldeman, 1852)
- Short Name: M. resh
- Common Name: Resh Cicada
- Synonym/Former Name: Tibicen resh
- Where it is found: AR, KS, LA, MS, NE, OK, SC, TN, TX
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black, green and brown camo pattern. White pruinosis. Resh Hebrew character pattern on mesonotum.
- Eye Color: varies
- Pronotal Collar Color: olive
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/138784
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Bill Reynolds: http://www.inaturalist.org/observations/224277
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Megatibicen resh (Haldeman, 1852) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/index.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.