Cacama valvata (Uhler, 1888)
Photo credit: Cacama valvata (female) by Adam Fleishman
Song type: Call
Source: ©Insect Singers | Species: C. valvata
Playlists contain multiple videos found on YouTube.
Name, Location and Description
- Cicada Name: Cacama valvata (Uhler, 1888)
- Short Name: C. valvata
- Common Name: Common Cactus Dodger
- Where it is found: AZ, CA, CO, KS, NV, NM, OK, TX, UT
- Maps: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico [PDF]
- Description: Black with gold highlights and white pruinose.
- Eye Color: beige and black mix
- Pronotal Collar Color: black with gold highlights
- Bug Guide: http://bugguide.net/node/view/57605
- Subject Matter Expert website: http://www.forestryimages.org/search/action.cfm?q=Cacama
- Image: Insect Images
- Taxonomic Information: Integrated Taxonomic Information System
- Cicada Mania Blog Posts: http://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/tag/c-valvata/
- Cicada Mania Image Library: Cacama valvata (Uhler, 1888) images
- Song: http://www.insectsingers.com/100th_meridian_cicadas/western_species.html
- Some descriptions are based on aged specimens which have lost some or a lot of their color.
List of sources
- Full Binomial Names: ITIS.gov
- Common names: BugGuide.net; The Songs of Insects by Lang Elliott and Wil Herschberger; personal memory.
- Locations: Biogeography of the Cicadas (Hemiptera: Cicadidae) of North America, North of Mexico by Allen F. Sanborn and Polly K. Phillips.
- Descriptions, Colors: personal observations from specimens or photos from many sources. Descriptions are not perfect, but may be helpful.