Last Saturday I (Dan) drove out to western Ohio with the goal of meeting up with fellow cicada maniac Roy Troutman and his family, and observing the 2008 Brood XIV emergence.
So far in 2008, Roy and I:
- Observed massive emergences in Loveland, Blue Ash, Mariemont and Indian Hill.
- Collected nymphs for a scientific experiment (not sure I can divulge the details).
- Met and had breakfast with cicada expert Gene Kritsky in Mariemont, which was inundated with cicadas.
- Met Samuel Orr, who is best know for his film Return of the 17-Year Cicadas.
- Collected adult Magicicada septendecula for a breeding experiment to be conducted by John Cooley…
- Spent part of the day with John, even stopping by the Circle K for some road food.
Roy has collected 2 white eyed cicadas so far, and I’ve handed out a bunch of Cicada Mania buttons. If you see me and ask for one, and I have some with me, it’s yours.
Today I’m leaving Ohio, and headed across Pennsylvania. I plan on stopping around Middletown, Cornwall and Morgantown, where cicadas have been sighted. Then it’s back to homebase in New Jersey were I’ll try to verify the 1906 records of 17 year cicadas in Red Bank, and well as continue to post updates.