It’s that time again: time for cicadas in Australia (2018-2019)!
Are you in the Sydney area? Report cicada sightings to The Great Cicada Blitz (Sydney, AUS).
I’ll post sightings I hear about on social media here:
- September 19, 2018: Alarm Clock Squawker (Pauropsalta mneme). Reported by njemery on iNaturalist.
- September 11, 2018: Silver Princess (Yoyetta celis). Reported by @christiewithaC on Twitter
- September 11, 2018: Bladder Cicada (Cystosoma saundersii). Reported by joelp on iNaturalist
Australia has the best cicada names:
Cherrynose or Whiskey Drinker (Macrotristria angularis)
Bagpipe Cicada (Lembeja paradoxa)
Floury Baker (Abricta curvicosta)
Golden Emperor (Anapsaltoda pulchra)
Double Drummer (Thopha saccata)
Orange Drummer (Thopha colorata)
White Drummer (Arunta perulata)
Bladder Cicada (Cystosoma saundersii)
Redeye cicada (Psaltoda moerens)
Click images for larger versions.
More interesting names:
- Black Prince (Psaltoda plaga) [picture close to center of page]
- Brown Bunyip (Tamasa tristigma) [Brown Bunyip]
- Typewriter (Pauropsalta extrema) [picture]
- Sandgrinder (Arenopsaltria fullo) [picture]
- Tiger Prince (Macrotristria godingi) [picture]
Use this amazing image by David Emery to identify some of the most well-known Australian cicada species:
People and Resources:
Nathan Emery released a cicada book called “A photo guide to the common cicadas of the Greater Sydney Region”. You can purchase it on eBay.
Laura Imbruglia sings songs that mention Green Grocers and Yellow Mondays on her album “It Makes a Crunchy Noise”.
2017-2018 reports of cicadas as I see them on social media
This might be handy for guessing when cicada species in Australia will emerge.
- January 19, 2018: Creaking Branch Cicada (Auscala spinosa). Gemma Edwards found one in Bendigo, Victoria, outside of their previously known geographic distribution.
- December 18, 2017: Razor Grinders (Aleeta curvicosta) and Redeye cicadas (Psaltoda moerens), reported by Mike Young on Facebook.
- December 14, 2017: Southern Red-eyed Squeaker (Popplepsalta notialis notialis), reported by NJE Photography on Facebook.
- November 20, 2017: Cherrynose (Macrotristria angularis), reported by Nathan Emery on Twitter.
- November 11, 2017: Golden Twanger cicadas (Diemeniana euronotiana), reported by NJE Photography on Facebook.
- November 8, 2017: Eastern Double Drummer cicadas (Thopha saccata), reported by NJE Photography on Facebook.
- October 3, 2017: Cyclochila australasiae (Green Grocer, Masked Devils, Yellow Mondays, Blue Moons), reported by Brian G on Flickr. (thx David Emery for pointing this out).
- September 24, 2017: The Silver Princess (Yoyetta celis), reported by Nathan Emery on Facebook.
- September 14, 2017: Clinopsalta autumna reported by Nathan Emery on Twitter.
- September 12, 2017: Cystosoma saundersii reported by Nathan Emery on Twitter.
- August 11, 2017: Birrima varians calling in Brisbane reported by Lindsay Popple on Twitter.