It’s that time again: time for cicadas in Australia (2017-2018)!
Are you in the Sydney area? Report cicada signtings to The Great Cicada Blitz (Sydney, AUS).
I’ll list reports of cicadas as I see them on social media:
- October 3, 2017: Cyclochila australasiae (Green Grocer, Masked Devils). Brian G on Flickr. (thx David Emery for pointing this out).
- September 24, 2017: The Silver Princess (Yoyetta celis). Nathan Emery on Facebook.
- September 14, 2017: Clinopsalta autumna reported by Nathan Emery on Twitter.
- September 12, 2017: Cystosoma saundersii reported by Nathan Emery on Twitter.
- August 11, 2017: Birrima varians calling in Brisbane reported by Lindsay Popple on Twitter.
Australia has the best cicada names:
Cherrynose or Whiskey Drinker (Macrotristria angularis)
Bagpipe Cicada (Lembeja paradoxa)
Floury Baker (Abricta curvicosta)
Golden Emperor (Anapsaltoda pulchra)
Double Drummer (Thopha saccata)
Orange Drummer (Thopha colorata)
White Drummer (Arunta perulata)
Bladder Cicada (Cystosoma saundersii)
Redeye cicada (Psaltoda moerens)
Click images for larger versions.
More interesting names:
- Black Prince (Psaltoda plaga) [picture close to center of page]
- Brown Bunyip (Tamasa tristigma) [Brown Bunyip]
- Typewriter (Pauropsalta extrema) [picture]
- Sandgrinder (Arenopsaltria fullo) [picture]
- Tiger Prince (Macrotristria godingi) [picture]
Use this amazing image by David Emery to identify some of the most well-known Australian cicada species:
People and Resources:
Nathan Emery released a cicada book called “A photo guide to the common cicadas of the Greater Sydney Region”. You can purchase it on eBay.
Laura Imbruglia sings songs that mention Green Grocers and Yellow Mondays on her album “It Makes a Crunchy Noise”.